Welcome to my journey through the crazy world of weight loss surgery. This adventure began about 10 years ago when my doctor said "Have you ever thought about doing weight loss surgery?"
And my reply was "Are you crazy? Why would I ask someone to cut up my perfectly normal GI system?"
Fast forward to last fall, when my new liver specialist said "You need weight loss surgery. I will drive you there myself, that's how badly you need to do this." And my thoughts were "Is he crazy? Why would I cut up a perfectly normal GI system that is functioning?"
Despite my fears, I began the process. He wasn't really giving me a lot of choice if I wanted to keep my liver functioning in a normal way. So I began working my way through the long checklist of requirements: paperwork, classes, doctor's appointments, bod pod, psych evaluation, more classes, support group meetings, monthly weigh ins, and learning a lot more about the whole thing.
Finally comes the first visit with the surgeon and he asks me how I am feeling about everything. My answer? You guessed it! I said "Am I crazy? I feel like it's crazy to take one of the few systems in my body that is actually working well and rearrange it." He paused, gave me a deadpan expression, and said "Well obviously it's working too well." LOL Couldn't argue with that!
And thus, the journey truly began at that moment. I have gone from terror to excitement and everything in between. I have taken out my suitcase, packed away the guilt I felt for not being able to do this the old-fashioned way, and embraced what is to be my new life.
I am inviting you along for the ride. I debated whether to keep it all private, but decided this would be therapeutic for me. I think it will help me adjust to the many changes about to happen. If it gets too boring, just fast forward to the pictures that will surely be coming.
Surgery is July 31st!
Diana
Congrats on getting the blog up and running!
ReplyDeleteLOL Thanks Jenna! I apologize to anyone who came and checked and found no message. Apparently it was stuck in preview mode. Shelby helped me figure it out. :)
ReplyDeleteGood luck Aunt Diana! Thank you for sharing your journey with us. We'll be anxious for the updates along the way!
ReplyDeleteThanks Kelly! Thanks for coming along!
Delete