Saturday, August 17, 2013

Cheeseburgers!

2 weeks and 2 days post op.

I am reminded daily that I underwent major surgery.  This is not something you bounce back quickly from. But each day I see improvement. I feel better, I move better.  Slowly but surely.

I started eating pureed foods this week but I am going slowly.  Applesauce, mashed potatoes, even some chicken.  Each new food scares me.  If it doesn't please my new tiny stomach, there are repercussions!  But surprisingly, so far, only one food has done that.

I have to be very careful not to eat anything that has too much sugar or fat.  I have to limit my amounts to 2 oz of food 3/times daily.  I have to chew everything until it is liquefied.  And I have to eat slowly.  That 2 oz has to last 30 minutes.  If I do all of that, then hopefully I won't have too many repercussions.  Takes practice.

I keep a daily food diary where I write down everything.  I track protein, calories, fat, sodium, sugar, carbs and fiber.  I have to make sure I eat enough protein and fiber, and not so much of the rest.  I track how much water I drink.  Needs to be 64 oz per day.

They say your taste changes after surgery, but so far everything tastes the same to me.  We shall see, may happen yet.  What doesn't change is food cravings.  I dreamed about a cheeseburger several nights!  Really? I would have guessed pizza but no, a cheeseburger.  LOL

Weight.  Well, I would think after 3 weeks of eating like I have, or to be more accurate not eating, I would have lost a little weight.  But no, can't be that easy.  So far my weight has stayed EXACTLY the same.  Not a pound of change.  Yet.  But I can feel the changes.  My neck feels thinner.  My face looks better.  This thing requires patience I'm telling ya.  Patience.  My body is probably clinging to every pound because it thinks I am on a desert starving or something.  Sometimes our bodies are too smart, but I guess if i were on a desert starving I'd be grateful.  LOL

I''ve been going to support group meetings once/month for 9 months now.  I had my first one post-op and it helped immensely.  A great group of people who encourage and support each other, and reassured me I was doing fine.  Made me feel a whole lot better.

So overall, so far so good.  I will be happy for the day I have energy again.  I will be seriously happy for the day the scale says something different.  And I can't wait to start giving clothes to Goodwill. That's gonna be fun!

Thinking of all of you.  Hoping your own struggles are getting easier.  Life is not for the weak.
Diana




8 comments:

  1. Way to go girl!!!!!! You are doing everything right which will pay BIG dividends!!!!!!! I know at times it must be hard, but you can do it. You are determined to get to your goal which is half the battle. Hope you feel perky real soon. :-) Praying for you. Love you, Kay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay. You make a great cheerleader! I am trying so hard to do it all right. All of those years with Weight Watchers are paying off. I'm an expert tracker. LOL Perky would be nice. They say that takes about 3 months but I would be good with a little more energy now and get to the perky part later. When that hits, look out! I'm going to be a cleaning fool. :) Thank you for everything.
      Diana

      Delete
  2. There's not a whole lot that I can add to what Kay said but I wanted to tell you that "patience" is a Woerner virtue. I want things to happen yesterday & it just doesn't work that way. I think your doing great...the weight loss will come. You had major surgery so you won't be perky for awhile. Keep up the good work. I do enjoy your blog.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna! I remember dad had that patience thing. LOL Guess I am a true Woerner. It's hard when you are in the midst of it to see progress, but I know in a few months I am going to feel a whole lot better. I cling to that.
      Diana
      PS Good luck on your surgery, hope things go smoothly. I'll be thinking of you.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad that Weight Watchers taught you something to help you on this journey. Donating your clothes will be fun but buying new ones will be even better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't even remember what it's like to shop! New adventures ahead. :)

    ReplyDelete